It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Newsletter Project News
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:44 am 

Our new newsletter 'UnderCurrents' has just gone out, the first newsletter from us in over two years. Also, to go along with that, it is now in html format, plus ANYONE and EVERYONE on Undernet can now subscribe to our undercurrents@ list to receive the e-newsletter every month. If you wish to do so, just go to... http://undernet.sbg.org/mailman/listinfo/undercurrents
and fill out to be subscribed and the request will be sent. We want this to be our biggest newsletter ever encompassing ALL of Undernet eventually, so feel free to join it. Although this is not a public list and it can not be replied to as it is set for publications to everyone of our newsletter only and not to receive emails on this list.

We also now have our own channel for the Newsletter Project, #newsletter. We would love to have you join us on Undernet as this channel was created to discuss our newsletter with everyone in Undernet hoping to make it the best, by you telling us your likes, dislikes and things you would like to see in it. We ask only that this not be a channel where you just park your nick or come to chat and meet people as it was created to benefit the Newsletter Project.

Last, if you would like to write for us, go to http://www.user-com.undernet.org/newsletter, then click on the submit an article link to send us your article. Or just send us your article at newsletter@undernet.org and we'll post it for you. We must say though, we accept nothing copyrighted without explicit permission attached in the article from the author and/or company, as we check each article for that. We also reserve the right to refuse articles at our discretion when we feel they are of questionable material(s)

Come join us and help make it better for ALL of Undernet! We want to include everyone around Undernet in this our new start to our Newsletter Project!!!! :D

Post subject: where is the newsletter?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:28 am 
Forum Super Moderator

Good work on getting the newsletter out last May .... but why did it stop? After 3 1/4 months, there has been no other edition? Has it been discontinued?

Undernet readers want to know! ;-)

Eenie

Post subject: It will be back
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:49 am 
#Userguide Member

We successfully completed an April newsletter. After that there were problems with the data base. If the database is not fixed within the next week Banjo intends to have an email only version out. This will not be available to view online. Only via email. You can subscribe to undercurrents by sending an email to undercurrents-request@undernet.org with just the word "subscribe" either in the subject or in the body of the message.

We do have a lot of wonderful articles, the committee has not been idle while waiting for the problems to be resolved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:54 am 
Forum Super Moderator

ahhh .. sorry, I was incorrect about the month. April, not May ;-)

Well, we all hope to be reading another issue soon.

Eenie

Post subject: Re: Newsletter Project News
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:57 pm 
Forum Super Moderator

on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:49 am, vivianlee stated:
Quote:
We successfully completed an April newsletter. After that there were problems with the data base. If the database is not fixed within the next week Banjo intends to have an email only version out.

This was 10 months ago.

There has not been an issue of the newsletter for over a year.

What happened to the "new start to our Newsletter Project!!!!" as Banjo put it?

Eenie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:22 pm 

One month ago xplorer said that the project is back, and he needed people to write articles, so i did write two articles, but still no response, when i asked they said that they are waiting for the administrator of the databases, since then they are still waiting.
I'm curious what will happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:34 pm 
#Userguide Member

Puck I think you know that all things on Undernet take a little time, and patience. Just keep writing and I'm sure eventually another issue of the newsletter will happen. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:43 pm 

soon, young apprentice, soon. :)

we need to have a little meeting and then we will have the project back on tracks soon :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:24 am 

*waits patiently* :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:18 pm 

/me pokes magic, simba-- and everyone else involved......

Does it takes that much time to fix a db ? or to transfer logins info to the proprer person,..

i was told to wait some couples of days... but now its been MONTHS, allmost a year..

people trusted me, and thank to you, my word as been broken. ..

DO SOMETHING!!!

maybe you don't care about this project anymore, but some of us DO..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:43 am 

Thats how user-com works .. slow as a rock .... Main reason why i stopped workin on UUS with user-com tag .. i rather doit un-official!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:47 am 

Well over a year without any announcement on the status of this project other than how all things on Undernet take a little time. Any word yet?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:13 am 

[quote="MrEen"]Well over a year without any announcement on the status of this project other than how all things on Undernet take a little time. Any word yet?[/quote]

Guess not. Oh well, I'll just ignore this global notice that went out a few minutes ago:

[19:45] -Notice-- (private) After many months, we now have our first new edition of Undernet's Newsletter from User-Com's Newsletter Project. You can view the new newsletter at - http://www.user-com.undernet.org/newsletter/current.php Look for more new articles next month on our next coming issue. Any questions or comments email newsletter@undernet.org. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:12 am 

Well, I couldn't ignore it. Below are excerpts from the newsletter and my comments in (parenthesis) as BBCode seems to be turned off for me in this section

The best flood protection you can get.

By MartYani

First of all, those are some protections for preventing ctcp or message flood
Enter them in your Scripts Editor. (ALT+R) Enter them into the Remote tab

--flood protections--
on ^+1:open:?:*:{ hinc -mu3 prvflood opened | if ($hget(prvflood,opened) > 1) { silence +*!*@*.*,+~*!*@undernet.org,+~*!*@*.undernet.org | .timeropenflood 1 30 silence -*!*@*.*,-~*!*@undernet.org,-~*!*@*.undernet.org | echo -a * Flood - SILENCE is ON Check flood.txt from your mIRC directory | write flood.txt $date $+ / $+ $time - $fulladdress $1- | halt } }
ctcp *:*:if (%¢) inc -u10 %¢ | else set -u10 %¢ 1 | if (%¢ > 4) { echo -a warning CTCP LAME flooders | silence +*!*@*.*,+~*!*@undernet.org,+~*!*@*.undernet.org | unset %¢ | .timer 1 180 silence -*!*@*.*,-~*!*@undernet.org,-~*!*@*.undernet.org | write msg.txt $date $+ / $+ $time - CTCP FLOOD: $fulladdress $1- }

It\\\\\\\'s better than nothing. Trust me, it will work just only the drones are not logged in. Simple as pie, you\\\\\\\'re not logged in, you cannot message me! Isn\\\\\\\'t this nice? :o)

After you get flooded, your drones are logged into a file called flood.txt and you can find it in your mIRC directory, that\\\\\\\'s for reporting the drones to the abuse-exploits@undernet.org or for the #report-abuse channel.

That\\\\\\\'s all for now, I\\\\\\\'ll post new articles in a short time. Enjoy Undernet

(Umm. There might still be a person or two on Undernet that use Linux (or any *nix), Mac, a webchat interface, or any of the myriad of Windows IRC clients OTHER than mIRC. You might want to state somewhere in the article this is meant ONLY for users of mIRC.)

--------------------

Spaghetti Alla Carbonara (Spaghetti a la carbonara would be the correct spelling)

By Kanne

Spaghetti Alla Carbonara. (Spaghetti a la carbonara would be the correct spelling)

Ingredients:

1/4 lbs Bacon (smoked) (Where I come from bacon is sold by the (full) pound. And should be eaten that way!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 egg yolks (whipped)
1/2c Fresh Parmisan cheese (grated) (Should be spelled Parmesan.)
Piece of Garlic(optional)
Salt
Pepper
Spaghetti

Fry the bacon in the olive oil, with the garlic, until the bacon is well cooked but not burnt.
Beat the eggs with the Parmisan cheese.
Cook the Spaghetti in boiling water, stirring occasionally so it wont stick.
When \'aldente\', salt them then strain. (al dente is two words.)
Put them back into the pot and add the bacon over a low flame then the eggs.
Stir until cooked.
Add pepper and serve warm.

Enjoy! (I can't! Not enough bacon!!)

--------------------

Valentine Day in Spanish mode (Valentine's Day)

By kaisser

Día de San Valentín, conocido también como día del amor ó de la amistad, es una celebración que se celebra cada año en Febrero el día 14.

Existen muchas historias referentes a este día. Desde místicas hasta religiosas sin embargo sea como fuese, San Valentín se ha convertido en el patrón de todos los enamorados y de todas aquellas personas que quieren tienen una pareja ya sea en el aspecto sentimental u amical. Este día se ha convertido en un día perfecto para regalar con cariño y afecto flores, postales, poemas de amor, dedicatorias, bombones y regalos de todo tipo de presentes por ser el día más querido y así demostrar amor y amistad.

Undernet, la primera red en IRC celebra también días de festín entre todos sus usuarios por los miles de canales que ya existen en distintos idiomas. La emoción nos embarga y nos acongoja al saber que un día tan especial como es el 14 de Febrero une no solo a parejas y encuentros románticos si no también a amistades que con ansias han esperado durante todo el año tan importante fecha.

El comité de usuario de Undernet (User-Com #newsletter) no ha dejado de lado tan importante festividad y ha preparado el presente boletín para saludar a los usuarios regulares que a diario concurren nuestra red y usuarios registrados deseando este 14 de Febrero 2009 sea un día de gozo, dicha y unión entre amigos, enamorados y parejas; esperando vengan mejores y muchos años más en adelante.

Bienvenido y gracias por compartir un momento con nosotros.

kaisser

User-Com member. #newsletter

(The newsletter was posted February 25th, 2009. Valentine's Day is February 14th, every year.)

--------------------

Valentine Day (Valentine's Day)

By Carlos

Valentine's Day is a traditional celebration in which friends, lovers, boyfriends or husbands express love or affection to each other. Held on the February 14, Valentine onomastic. In some countries is called the Day of Love and Other Day of Love and Friendship.

It is now celebrated by exchange of notes of love known as valentines, with symbols such as the heart or Cupid, but with the popularity of the Internet is now also used to exchange cards.

Modern Valentine's Day was imported to the U.S. in the nineteenth century by the British. The first produced valentines postcards dating from 1847, created by American businessman and artist Esther Howland (1828-1904).

(The newsletter was posted February 25th, 2009. Valentine's Day is February 14th, every year.)

--------------------

Now for some excerpts from this topic on the forum:

by vivianlee on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:49 am
We successfully completed an April newsletter. After that there were problems with the data base. If the database is not fixed within the next week Banjo intends to have an email only version out. This will not be available to view online. Only via email. You can subscribe to undercurrents by sending an email to undercurrents-request@undernet.org with just the word "subscribe" either in the subject or in the body of the message.

We do have a lot of wonderful articles, the committee has not been idle while waiting for the problems to be resolved.

--------------------

by Puck7 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:22 pm
One month ago xplorer said that the project is back, and he needed people to write articles, so i did write two articles, but still no response, when i asked they said that they are waiting for the administrator of the databases, since then they are still waiting.
I'm curious what will happen.

--------------------

by vivianlee on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:34 pm
Puck I think you know that all things on Undernet take a little time, and patience. Just keep writing and I'm sure eventually another issue of the newsletter will happen.

--------------------

Now the conclusion.

So, the committee had a lot of wonderful articles ready a year and a half ago but the above is what was chosen to put in print at this time? Let me guess, someone gave the go-ahead for this last night so a mad scramble ensued to get something out and no one even bothered to look back through older submissions?

I really don't mean to trash the effort, but this absolutely screams amateur hour. And I'm not even referring to the problems you've seemed to have encounted with escaping characters in PHP (see Editor's Note and possibly Futuristic Fun in the newsletter.)

MrEen

P.S. As my previous post may show, the quoting function on this forum seems to be broken. It might only be this section though, as this seems the only section where BBCode is off for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:27 am 

I'll bet I "annoyed" xplo's script, and maybe a few people. Oh well.

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next