It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Auto-reload forum page
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:39 am 

I don't know if anyone else wants/cares about this, but, I'd like to suggest adding this to the forum. Sometimes a topic comes up that generates a lot of responses (not unlike the past few days) and it would be nice to take a quick peek and know if there's anything new without having to hit reload/refresh/whatever.

I don't know much about phpBB, but I'd assume if there isn't a way to set this in the config files or whatever they use, you could add a line manually to each page, or even just the main index page. I've seen that users time out after some minutes of being inactive, so maybe set the refresh rate 10-30 seconds before the timeout?

All it would take is placing something like this in the <head>:

<META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CONTENT=290>

290 is seconds, and I'm guessing the timeout on the forum right now is somewhere around 5 minutes.

Just a thought,
MrEen

Post subject: Re: Auto-reload forum page
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

The session timeout is exactly 300 seconds.

Anyway, if you hate IE and you use FF you may try: THIS FF RealoadEvery addon. It's only 30 KB. :) You just right click on a page, and set the custom reaload period, or use some of the pre-defined. As simple as that. Setting it on the forum would be forcing all users to reload the page, this way it will be up to users choice, if using FF of course. I don't know for other browsers becase I dislike them. Btw, if you are replying to a thread, and in meanwhile someone submitted a post while you were writing yours, the forum will notify you.

Best Regards.

Post subject: Re: Auto-reload forum page
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:55 pm 

Thank you very much Mitko! That's just perfect for me! I also don't like the other browsers, not to mention, I no longer have to keep downloading all the updates for IE to stay "secure."

Thanks again,
MrEen

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]