It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alternative to /msg x showignore
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:29 am 

Hi there!

My idea is pretty straight forward, as far as I know there's only one way to find out X's ignore list via: /msg x showignore and one way to see X's silenced users via: /silence X

Now let's assume that you've "accidentally" flooded X and it has you on its ignore list. At this point you can't use any X commands for an hour, however you're not sure if you're either on X's ignore list or if X is simply lagging, and so only someone else can type /msg x showignore for you ... though much to your dismay none of your friends are online, and you as the proud/sensitive individual that you are find that you're too ashamed/embarrassed/confused to ask a total "stranger" to type that command for you and let you know.

This is where my idea comes into play, what if there was a command to find that out, even if X has you on its ignored list. It could be a server command or even a command through C. The purpose of this command would be to avoid asking someone else to do it for you for reasons stated above thus making it easier for the user. The command syntax could be one of the following: /msg C showignore or /silence XX

Best regards, xDevilx.

Post subject: Re: Alternative to /msg x showignore
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:47 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

X's showignore system uses the /silence system, this means if you want to know if you are ignored, you can still use /silence X. /silence is a server command so the server will attempt to show you if you are ignored. However, to make sure this command works right, send a test message to X first, before checking with /silence, this will give time for your server to update and get the silence mask from X that X is ignoring you with.

As for your idea of /silence XX wont work, because that would cause your server to give you the silence list of whomever is using the nickname of XX, then there is also no way for C to ever know what X's silence list is, because C and X do not communicate, which also means that because of how /silence works, C's server will never get any notification of any of X's silences.

Here's a quick rundown of how /silence works, if you add someone to your /silence list, your server will initially have the matching record, but will not pass this info on to any other server, now, if that someone /msg's you, your server will catch the message, block it, then notify the originating server (that being the server that "someone" is on) of the matching silence mask. Now, if that "someone" were to /msg you again, their server will block the message instead of your server, and until you remove the /silence mask you set on them, this now means that there is no cross network traffic wasted by someone attempting to /msg you while they are /silence'd by you.

At this time, I do not see anything in your post that would be an improvement for undernet, sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:44 am 

A min, a min..

When I flood X and X got me in ignore list, I can type /silence X to check if I am ignored by X ? Didn't know till now.. If I got it wrong then could you please guys explain me what is this /silence X command for?

Thanks in advance!
Regards/RevivaL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:38 am 

After flooding X (in the name of science) it turns out that xplora is 100% right. Here's what I got: [11:49] -X- Flood me will you? I'm not going to listen to you anymore. Immediately I issued /silence X and surprise surprise I wasn't in the list, however after sending a few test messages to X as xplora suggested, voilla: X *!*Lovelines@Szwarovski.users.undernet.org
X *!*~Cry@Blackday.users.undernet.org
X *!*~user@79.115.82.99
X *!*~dsagf@92.84.237.19
X *!*~pena@81.181.34.87
X *!*~ident@79.115.82.99
X *!*xDevilx@DevilsDance.users.undernet.org <--- this is me
X End of Silence List

This proves that /silence X will show you if you're on X's ignore list, and to quote xplora: "However, to make sure this command works right, send a test message to X first, before checking with /silence, this will give time for your server to update and get the silence mask from X that X is ignoring you with."

I had no idea that X's showignore system uses the /silence system and so I wasn't aware that /silence X will display your ignored userid@host ... thanks a lot for clearing that up! this also renders my "idea" useless as /silence X does exactly that. Thus a reminder to all, if you have doubts wether or not you're on X's ignore list, you don't necessarily need to ask someone to check via: /msg X showignore ... you can do it yourself via: /silence X (though it's good to send a few test messages to X, so that the server can update and get the silenced mask(s) from X).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:38 pm 
Senior Cservice Admin

actually /silence anynick should tell you if "anynick" has you /silence'd. and since X's ignore systems uses the server based /silence system, /silence X should work ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:30 pm 

OMG!

That is perfect! Finally found a way to check it out by ourselves :} But it really takes server's 5 minutes to communicate with X to add your hostmask inside, Or you have try to msg X then server gets noticed that your messages are not being sent to X then adds you in the list. But since X already notices you when X going to ignore you then why should we'll be needing to use /silence X for? Since there is no time specified for it's expire, we can't call it alternative command for showignore.

But I like that command! Thank you guys for leading me to learn one thing more :}

Regards/RevivaL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:42 am 

heh, /silence X has been working for nearly two years already.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:10 pm 

No ONE said we produced it new (: I just didn't know such a command till this guy opened that topic, and didn't know how to manage it to get the part X silenced you. There is a communication being occurred between X and the server you're currently in, I don't think this is just a command simple one.. btw I do realise that there is million more things we don't know yet by still trying to learn day by day (:

Regards/RevivaL
I would have a answer for the all Words BUT, firstly I look at the word if it it is a WORD! then look at the man if it is a MAN!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:45 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

I just need to point out that it now only works for X, because for various security reasons, seeing the silence list for others is a bad idea.

This too has been this way for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:10 pm 

Is anyone getting an unusual bell chime when they send a message using this? I installed it a few days ago and when I send a file or message it sounds like big ben is chiming away in my room. It woke up my father and also caused interference with the phone line. My Dad told me id it's going to do that when I try to use it, then I'm not allowed to use it. I guess I'll have to find another type of way to preform a file transfer. Any suggestions that won't cause such a loud any annoying bell sound? I really need this program because all of my friends use it and I would be the odd man out. Is this sound normal, or did I happen to pick up a computer virus when I was downloading a file using X?

Last edited by nanobob32 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Advertising on Google is costing my small business too much money. Where can I find a company that specializes in seo Chicago listings? PM me if you have some recommendations for my e-commerce business. kratom | survival seed bank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:11 am 

nanobob32 wrote:
Is anyone getting an unusual bell chime when they send a message using this? I installed it a few days ago and when I send a file or message it sounds like big ben is chiming away in my room. It woke up my father and also caused interference with the phone line. My Dad told me id it's going to do that when I try to use it, then I'm not allowed to use it. I guess I'll have to find another type of way to preform a file transfer. Any suggestions that won't cause such a loud any annoying bell sound? I really need this program because all of my friends use it and I would be the odd man out. Is this sound normal, or did I happen to pick up a computer virus when I was downloading a file using X?

First, you didn't download a file using X. (At least not on Undernet, you didn't.)

Aside from that, assuming you're not a forum spammer-in-waiting, you're probably using mIRC (you say all you friends use it.) In any mIRC window, you can type "/sound off" without the quotes. You might also want to uncheck the Enable Sounds box in Options, Sounds.

By the way, have you tried turning your speaker volume down?

Hope that helps,
MrEen

P.S. When you have a question, if no topic already has it covered, you should start your own NEW
topic.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]