It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: [General] "Partitioned" IRC network
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:06 pm 

I have a general IRC server question:

I have to add a set of IRC servers to an existing private IRC network. We are bandwidth constricted to the locations of all of the new servers except one. The new servers will run ircd on Linux boxes; the existing servers are UnRealIRCd.

I'm not an IRC guru - I normally do the IP network architecture stuff and leave actual server admin to others, but this is a special project.

Is is possible to limit the channels that the Linux/ircd servers can serve up so that I keep the bandwidth utilization low? I don't want to send traffic on all channels in the network to the new servers if I'm restricting the users of those new servers to only a subset of of available channels in the network.

Can this be done using one ircd server as a proxy to the rest of those restricted servers, or is there another Linux-based irc server that can interoperate with UnRealIRCd and do this?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I know nothing about UnrealIRCD because it's very unreal and childish. Plain IRCu does not support such a feature, but you can try the beware irc deamon (bIRCd). It has a feature called "restrictcreate" which stops non-ircops to create channels. http://ircd.bircd.org/ -- I hope that's what you wanted. About UnrealIRCD you can ask them at http://forums.unrealircd.com/ .

NOTE: all servers must be same version of ircd, or it will be a mess.

Best Regards,
Mit 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:46 pm 

Thanks for the info, but "restrictcreate" doesn't get around the problem of filtering out the restricted channels so that those channels' data don't overrun the links to the bandwidth-limited servers.

The problem is really a lack of bandwidth to those servers, not just restricting the ability of users to create new channels, or unauthorized access to certain channels (although that's a nice feature to have)...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]